A warp unit is a device that creates a warp field.
Culture Minds built in the 14th century CE possessed a single internal warp unit. They were used to expand microscopic volumes around a section of information to be manipulated. The volume limit was less than a cubic millimetre.
During the Idiran-Culture War a Mind managed to jury rig its warp unit to envelop itself and use it to reënter real space from hyperspace. When the damaged Mind was recovered and repaired it could not remember the modifications it had made.
Units meant for personal use may be known as warp attachments.
- ↑ Consider Phlebas, chapter 9
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Consider Phlebas, State of play: one
- ↑ Consider Phlebas, Dramatis personae
- ↑ Consider Phlebas, chapter 4
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Consider Phlebas, chapter 11
- ↑ Consider Phlebas, chapter 3
- ↑ Consider Phlebas, chapter 6
- ↑ Surface Detail, chapter 26
- ↑ Consider Phlebas, chapter 2
- ↑ The Player of Games, chapter 2